Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Green Smoothies




This is something I came upon during my year-long diet detox/rebalance. Over and over again, I would see people on blogs and message boards raving about the benefits of these, and being ever-curious about food, I decided to try one. The benefits are rumored to come from the pulverizing of the greens. All the incredible cleansing and healing nutrients in greens are very difficult for our bodies to access because greens tend to be amongst the most difficult of foods for us to digest fully. By pulverizing the greens, we make it much easier for our bodies to digest and therefore access these nutrients. They're also meant to be wonderful for supporting the liver during detoxification (or after a long night of partying). I've noticed they add a little bit of glow to my skin, my stomach always feels extra happy for hours after I have one, and after a few days of them I start to crave them every day.

It seems weird to add greens to a fruit smoothie, but it's a remarkable improvement on fruit by itself -- it adds a certain lightness and fresh taste that you'll start to crave in all your smoothies.


Ingredients:
You can get really creative with these, but the basic formula is the same:
- fruit (I like frozen best because then it's more thick and fruity since you don't need ice, but you can use fresh fruit and add ice too)
- greens (anything leafy that isn't a cabbage -- kale, arugula, cilantro, parsley, romaine lettuce, spinach to name a few)
- enough filtered water to blend

Directions:
Blend it all up as smooth as possible.

For proportion of fruit to greens, start by making what's pretty much just a fruit smoothie and add child-sized handful of greens. If you make these every day, you'll start to crave more greens in them; just do what naturally tastes best to you.

Some easy beginner's smoothie combinations:
1. Strawberries + 1/3 banana + a leaf or two of romaine lettuce
2. Bluberries + small handful of spinach

More exotic
1. Green apple + parsely
2. My favorite(!): Mango + 1/4 banana + cilantro + (if I have it) a slice of avocado

No comments:

Post a Comment